Our Co-op needs to take care of all our members – volunteers, members and customers alike. This is especially so with the rise of the corona-virus COVID-19.
The Public Health Agency of Canada has assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low for the general population in Canada but this could change rapidly. This virus can be spread by people who are not showing any symptoms. There is limited testing available at this time. We are following the advice of public health agencies where guidance is available.
The Proactive Measures that Our Co-op is Taking:
- The AGM has been postponed until April. The new date will be announced once the current situation becomes clearer.
- If volunteers show symptoms of illness, we will ask them to stay home – this may mean closure of the store. If we do need to close, we will post it on Facebook and change the answering machine message to reflect that.
- We have installed hand sanitizers at the door of our Co-op, at the check-out counter and elsewhere. We encourage our members to please use them coming into and leaving the store.
- We will spray surfaces with a new multi-surface cleaner disinfectant (from Canada) which has a continuing effect for up to 10 days. We will increase cleaning frequency throughout the store on high traffic and contact areas such as baskets, refrigerator handles, washroom doors, phones, Square checkout, computer keyboards, etc.
- Anyone working at our co-op who may have a cough will be asked to use a mask to prevent spreading of germs. Any packaging volunteer who has a cough will be asked to postpone. Where appropriate, gloves will be worn.
- Our purchaser, Sharon, is already communicating with our suppliers to address potential product shortages.
- The board will continue to monitor our situation and follow public health and governmental recommendations regarding testing, travel restrictions and self-quarantines.
- The board will communicate with local organizations and businesses to respond in a co-ordinated fashion.
What We All Can Do to Help:
- Use the hand sanitizer at the entrance and throughout the store to reduce spreading germs to others.
- If you feel unwell, stay home. Ask someone else to shop for you or wait until you feel better. If you are coughing or sneezing a lot, wear a mask or again, wait until you feel better before coming into the store. If you do not have anyone to shop for you, please call us and we will figure something out.
- Wash your hands frequently (20 seconds each time including backs of your hands and thumbs) before and after shopping; before preparing food; before eating food. Keep a sanitizer in your car.
- Cough into your elbow or a tissue. Throw away tissues immediately after use and wash your hands.
- Avoid touching your face, nose and mouth whenever possible.
- Take steps to improve your immune systems with pre and probiotics, healthy food, etc..
- Please do not panic buy. Sharon is brilliant at monitoring inventory to provide enough food for everyone. If you need 1, don’t take 2. Another member who needs the same thing will be happy to see it on the shelf.
For more information from the Public Health Agency of Canada regarding COVID-19, click here.